Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Immortals

The opening wasn't an effective hook in for me because I didn't care if the character was alone because I didn't know who he was. The ending went somewhere very expected and unoriginal, from such a creative story of a character living through all times.I found the first half very imaginative and funny, for example his five year hang over. I feel like I might have liked the story better had I thought the point was about humanity and immortality. Immortality when others are not immortal sounds like a curse to me without much consideration. But I got environmental and social messages. I thought the author was using the character's immortality to make as point about the way humans are treating the earth because of how all the humans are dying. And the main character said he loved the renaissance and drank himself through most of the current century. I found that to be a statement about today's culture, but I found it ineffectively conveyed by a character that I really can't relate to because it's almost irrelevant to me what pleased him and what made him pessimistic. Did anyone else read into it like that?

No comments:

Post a Comment