Sunday, February 7, 2010

"A Truly Modern Woman..."

I can honestly say that unlike The Immortals by Martin Amis, G-String by Nicola Barker was a much easier read for me, and not just because it was only 4 pages long either! I thought it was a funny story that actually made me wonder what would happen at the end, given the sort of pseudo-adventure the main character went through in not only preparing for the party she was invited to, but also initially attending it and the ride back home. The protagonist, Gillian, seemed to endure the worst kind of date imaginable with someone she really liked; but her date, Mr. Kip, although he started off as a seemingly nice guy (who I actually started liking at first) turned into a domineering jerk, and I'm assuming the reason was because Gillian didn't wear the dress he had requested. Personally I despise guys who are like that with women, especially nice women, but I don't think I was meant to get so emotionally invested with the story so much. My question is did Mr. Kip begin to view Gillian in a different light because she decided to take charge of the situation at the end? And did Gillian decide to stay with him after her transition into a "modern woman"?

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering the same thing. I just want to know what happens next. I wish the story was a little bit longer with more of an ending, like what happens when he gets to her house? Does she sleep with him? Does she kick him out of her life? It was a very good story.

    ReplyDelete